You know what a skirmish scale Apes comma Planet Of The (and or the rise thereof) warband would need to really be it's best? That's right, a whacking great gorilla:
This chunky monkey is from GCT Studios Bushido game, and is a suitably battle scarred, huge and imposing miniature - much more so than the original miniature sourced to be the muscle of the group:
That's more like it.
I see him as the 'big brother' of the group - the Orangutan is the wise elder, the gorilla the muscle, the smart ape is the leader, and the rest are a horde of chattering simians, poop flinging canon fodder being chaperoned by advanced, more evolved apes.
I made the mistake at looking at the studio painted version at Salute. It is much nicer than mine. It's nipples are better highlighted.
I love the scars on the miniature - he looks properly grizzled! I think I'll retire the original gorilla to the role of a young male, tagging along behind this alpha male...
12 vs 40 = -28
12 vs 40 = -28
- Finish 5 miniatures from my WIP drawer before starting anything new (5/5)
- Finish 10 miniatures from my WIP drawer before starting anything new (10/10)
- Finish 15 miniatures from my WIP drawer before starting anything new (11/15)
- Finish something years old
- Finish something SUPER old (as in, pre-blog old) x2
- Finish a piece of terrain x3
- Empty out my stripping pot
- Paint something from the stripping pot
- Prep all of the monkeys in the monkey box
- Build a wargames board
- Paint all of the miniatures in a boxed game
- Open Star Wars Imperial Assault and paint all the miniatures from it
- Paint all the miniatures needed to replace the tokens in the Imperial Assault Core Game
- Paint a complete box of miniatures (either a full regiment or starter)
- Finish a complete skirmish force for a project (at least 16 miniatures, unless it's for a much smaller scale game like Batman)
- Repaint something (either a miniature that I have previously painted, or one that was received painted)
Great to see something from the monkey box and what a sunning beastie he is too. I have had my eye on this fella for a while, but seeing him painted up and looking great here might push me to adding hime to my ape collection. Speaking of which, did you see the new Crooked Dice ape - very nice, I managed to pick one up at Salute.ReplyDelete
I did see, theirs is a proper King Kong style giant ape isn't he! Stuck to my guns and just grabbed the dogs and scenery bits I was after from them as I knew I had this chap basecoated at that point!Delete
The model is very imposing and you have done it justice.ReplyDelete
He's one of my fave Bushido models and sits in most of my warbandsReplyDelete