Sunday 7 May 2023

It just came off in my hand!

For a while now, I’ve been wanting to start watching Doctor Who again. We’d originally stopped watching when Capaldi took over, and so I thought I might as well start again, and work my way back through the modern series that I’d previously watched. I then delayed this plan by a couple of years, as I figured that I’d like to watch it with my children, but they were a bit young for it at the time. So when my eldest hit 8, I figured it was go time! It’s still a bit scary (and to my surprise, my youngest has clicked with it more than my eldest, and he’s only just turned 4), but I thought it might also be an opportunity to play some games too, so I turned to the Doctor Who Miniatures Game:


(The sun came out today, so I took the opportunity to take a poses picture too!)

For the first scenario, based on the first episode with Christopher Ecclestone’s Doctor, you need 6 Autons:


3 are Autons from the Doctor Who Micro Universe range, that I was luckily able to pick up dozens of packs of way back when.


I mixed up the colours a bit to try and give them some variety, but didn’t do any conversion work, as I figured animated mannequins would probably be on pretty much the same pose anyway…


To bulk out my ‘official’ Autons, I turned to the human figures from the Micro Universe range. While the monsters are generally brilliant, the human figures suffer from soft detail on their faces and hands - which makes them ideal candidates to be painted up as mannequins!


I took (from L-R) Martha, the eleventh Doctor, and Sarah-Jane, and cut and repositioned their arms to make them look slightly awkward, like their arms are fixed in position:


Mannequin Martha has come out looking a little bit like she’s coming in for a hug, but I’m not mad about it.


Finishing this half dozen brings the Tally to:

19 vs 41 = -22


What comes next? There’s a bunch of odds and ends on my painting tile, so I should probably work on clearing some space there! Although I should probably work on some more modern terrain…

2 comments:

  1. Great use of these models, to play out the episode

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love it all! I'm in a similar position, I revisioned the first seasons (9th Doctor and on) and I enjoyed them enormously again, until the replacement of the showrunners. Good to know of your experience, as my children are of that age, the elder turning into 8 this summer. I may have to bring the experience to them to see what happens!
    About the minis, you nailed those Autons, pretty clever work, they look so cool!

    ReplyDelete