A new year means a fresh start on the Tally, so I thought I'd start work on a bit of a buffer with something nice and easy - a chain golem, pretty much only one colour!
He's an old sculpt from the Dreamblade CMG that I have a bunch of after running a demo many years ago when it first launched - the scale is a bit iffy on the majority of the human sculpts, but anything monstrous is generally usable with the rest of my collection!
Originally planned as a one day fell swoop, it actually took much longer than that, mostly due to my inability to find my pin vice for several days (which ended up being in the drawer where it always lives, that I had already checked at least three times...)
[edit to add something I forgot to mention several hours after posting] - please ignore the scrappy base, apparently I have already scavenged every terminator base from every 40K starter set I have, so I had to dig one out of the bottom of my A Song of Ice and Fire project box, from an eBay lot of LOTR figures, which were covered in an ungodly amount of glue that I had to pick and sand off!
After years of using battered paintbrushes and cut down matchsticks to awkwardly spread glue on bases, I've discovered that a glue spreader (like the ones you used in primary school) is actually the perfect tool for the job (although I shouldn't have been surprised really, as the clue is in the name!)
Pow, one completed chain golem, base coated, washed, and then drybrushed up. And then washed again in several key places, as the GW dry silver paint (I forget what it's called) is terrible and seemed to leech into some of the indents...
I went for turquoise eyes for a couple of reasons:
1 - my wife chose that pot of paint, so brownie points for using it (see, I do need more than the hundreds of pots of paint I already have, honest)
2 - red seems so cliched - what if he's not an inherently evil golem? Why limit myself to that?
If I were to paint him again, I'd probably work on some rust effects, and maybe some dried blood, but as he's being painted this time as a quickly Tally booster he stays factory fresh!
I am also super amused at his rear - I imagine there was a meeting at some point with an Art Director who was adamant that no matter what, despite the fact that it's a whacking great vaguely humanoid figure made of chains, it was of the utmost importance that the sculpt have defined buttocks.
Finishing him takes the new Tally to:
1 vs 0 = +1
Hopefully I can keep it in the black a little while this year (which shouldn't be too hard considering I am broke as a joke), although Salute is normally where it takes a little bump... Also, I'm stuck in a bit of a loop currently - I want to paint some Rebels for the Star Wars project, to do which I need some bases. If I order some bases though, I'll order some figures too (because... Well, it would feel like a waste of an order of not) which would take me into the red. Hmm, need to work on that buffer some more (he says, studiously avoiding looking directly at the scores of half-painted miniatures tucked away in various drawers...)
plus column tally whoop whoop long may it last!ReplyDelete
Off to a flying start! Great job too, really like this one.ReplyDelete
That's such a cool sculpt. Very nicely painted too mate, well done.ReplyDelete