Monday 4 March 2024

Goblin’ my Hob

I mean I’m sure there were worse puns to use as a title, but they’d be hard to come by…

Excitingly, I’ve finished my first miniature of the year:



A Mage Knight mini originally, he’s going to be my hobgoblin for games of Silver Bayonet.


In The Silver Bayonet, Hobgoblins are humans that have been twisted and changed by dark magic, and I felt like his wildly uneven stature (not to mention rows of stitches) fit that theme quite nicely. It’s hard to see in these pictures, but a good dousing of crimson wash around the stitches makes them look pretty raw and uncomfortable.

If I was to do it again, I’d probably not leave the model unconverted - swapping out that big armoured shoulder pad for an epaulette, maybe. But I didn’t, so we can only assume the tricksy fae slapped it on him before using him in some nefarious gladiator battles before they got bored of him and released him back out into the world… I tried to make the shoulder pad looked weird and patina’d, for a little visual interest as much as anything else:


Painting him brings the Tally to:

1 vs 4 = -3


In other news, I introduced my family to Dungeons and Dragons at the weekend:



I helped them make characters and then ran them through the first couple of hours of the adventure in the latest starter box, and let me tell you D&D with children (4 and 9) is a very different beast to what you’re used to. I’m grateful that my wife also tried the game for the first time, so there was at least one player desperately trying to follow what was going on and drive the narrative in between one character constantly offering to play viol for everyone they met, and the other exploiting their entire backstory to everyone they met! If they want to carry on, we’ll have to see about getting them some proper miniatures for their characters…

4 comments:

  1. Gaming with young children is like herding kittens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a creature! I find it properly dark and scary! Haha, that D&D game sound really epic! We need a complete narration of the whole campaign! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adored Mage Knight when it first came out, so love seeing one of its old sculpts being put to good use. Love the colour of the shoulder-pad - it definitely catches the eye.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah he's pretty awesome. I love his scowling face and huge Quagmire arm 😏

    ReplyDelete