Thursday 7 December 2017

Yeld - yellow gold?

And lo, comes the final member of my Spyrer team, the bewinged Yeld:


Dark bodysuit, as befits a model that has the ability to camouflage himself in the darkness of the underhive, contrasted with gleaming gold and silver pinions, because hey we're the rich kids on safari, so we're going to flash the cash.


I imagine that the wings feature some sort of holo projector across the surface, which would blur the edges and make the individual's silhouette harder to make out. Well, that's how I justify to myself painting them as such bright metal! (rule of cool wins again).

Midway through painting, I was googling to look at other people's painted Yeld looking for colour inspiration for his weaponry, when I realised that what I had painted as his bald head and a very prominent brow should perhaps have been a metal skullcap:


I quite liked it though, and decided to leave it as is (picturing him as the slightly older, sees himself as wiser self-appointed leader of the group), but when painting the lenses on his cybernetic eye I coincidentally painted them red and green, inspiration struck and I knew that I had to give him a wobbly freehand spider tattoo on his head:


Spider Jerusalem, in case you aren't familiar with the source of inspiration, explaining democracy:


Finishing him brings the Tally to:

45 vs 40 = +5

and actually completes a playable force for a game system, in a shocking and out of character turn of events:


(I really need to stick a weight under each of their bases to make them a little more stable...)

Can I use this momentous milestone to justify ordering myself the new Necromunda? Probably not, this close to Christmas, I should probably wait and see what Santa brings to avoid raising the ire of the wife...

Given that Games Workshop seem to be planning to update all of the existing main gangs, as well as adding some new ones, I'm intrigued to see what a redesign of the Spyrers with 20 additional years of technology and experience would look like...

4 comments:

  1. Love the wings and for what it's worth thing the bald head looks better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah! Excellent work - Love the callback to Transmetropolitan. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The City was something like halfway to being a Hive. I've had an idea in my head for ages about doing some Arbites with CPD-style "SUBMIT NOW" Riot Shields.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it! The bald head is an improvement.

    ReplyDelete