Thursday 31 March 2022

Oh rats

I’ve completed the first proper unit for my ‘Road to the Old World’ challenge (for those of you that haven’t heard about it, it’s a slow grow escalation challenge to paint and play some classic tank and flank Warhammer ahead of the release of The Old World - there’s a Facebook group and a Reddit, if you want to join in!), a Skaven rat dart:

Excuse the lack of natural light which is making the pictures look more terrible than they do in real life. Look at that lovely classic pack master sculpt though, beautiful.


Considering that I need to paint close to a hundred models to fill out my 500 point starter list, I probably shouldn’t have done 3-4 layers on the fur and 4-6 on the skin, but I guess a speed painter I am not.

I may come back and add some vegetation to their bases at a later date, I’m still undecided. But for now they’re done, and take me up to a mighty 25 points painted, only 475 to go!


Finishing these also takes the Tally to:

13 vs -4 = +17

Next? Some slightly more involved sculpts, in greater quantities is the plan. I intend to break up painting the units with single figures to try and keep motivation up between batch painting, as well as having some off-project figures for when my attention span wanders towards something else. Batch painting is slow going currently though, as post-covid my energy isn’t what it previously was, so I’m generally able to base coat one part of three or four figures an evening, if I don’t fall asleep putting the children to bed…


3 comments:

  1. Looking good - I like those old metal Skaven sculpts. I like the colours you've used, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice rodents! (well, there goes a sentence I never thought I'd ever say!)
    Domn't be too hard on yourself, the important thing is not the numbers, but just enjoying, and if I had to judge by the results, you did enjoy these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely rats! That old sculpt (Jes Goodwin, right?) is from my most fav range of skaven that I wish I’d never had sold back in the day

    ReplyDelete