Tuesday 2 May 2017

An elegant weapon for a more civilized age...

...no wait that's something else...

When I originally put together my initial Lannister warband, I built the ranged warriors with bows, figuring that it was an appropriate weapon, and vaguely considering perhaps including some crossbows when I got around to making the more heavily armoured Lannister House Guard, thinking that that would add to the look of them as an elite unit. However, when reading a post by Captain Blood over on the LAF about his Robin Hood project, he made the point that the longbow is traditionally the weapon of the plucky underdog, the the common man champion of right and justice, whereas the crossbow is the weapon of the snooty oppressor, and I knew I had to make some for my Lannisters!

And thus, we have four crosbowmen in lovely red and yellow:


As per usual, they're a mix of bits from various Perry WOTR kits - probably about 90% from the Mercenaries sprues, although truth be told I don't pay a lot of attention to where the bits come from while I'm kitbashing!

These were as ever a pleasure to paint, although at times I ended up scrolling through google images trying to work out what material each part of the crossbow should be (the winder thing especially) and ended up winging it a lot of the time! I also painted these to match the previous miniatures completed, so no eyes, fairly scruffy, a maximum of 3 layers (not including washes) used for most colours - thanks past me for setting the bar low!

This takes my Lannister forces up to a respectable 24 models:


Although I'd like to add some more pikemen, and maybe some cavalry, and should probably finish painting the Mountain... And then finish working out stats and point values for everything so that I can work out what else I'd need to paint to make them a workable gaming force...

Tally

17 vs 40 = -23

Plus, I get to knock off another Challenge! There were a number of times when I was sorely tempted to start something new and just reset the counter (one of which I'll hopefully be able to speedily sort and paint and post this week!), but I'm glad that I managed to stick with it!

2017 Challenges:

  • Finish 5 miniatures from my WIP drawer before starting anything new (5/5)
  • Finish 10 miniatures from my WIP drawer before starting anything new (10/10)
  • Finish 15 miniatures from my WIP drawer before starting anything new (16/15)
  • Finish something years old
  • Finish something SUPER old (as in, pre-blog old) x2
  • Finish a piece of terrain x3 
  • Empty out my stripping pot
  • Paint something from the stripping pot
  • Prep all of the monkeys in the monkey box
  • Build a wargames board
  • Paint all of the miniatures in a boxed game
  • Open Star Wars Imperial Assault and paint all the miniatures from it
  • Paint all the miniatures needed to replace the tokens in the Imperial Assault Core Game
  •  Paint a complete box of miniatures (either a full regiment or starter)
  •  Finish a complete skirmish force for a project (at least 16 miniatures, unless it's for a much smaller scale game like Batman)
  • Repaint something (either a miniature that I have previously painted, or one that was received painted)

Writing this post, it turns out that it's been two years to the day since I last added anything to my Lannisters - how did that happen?! 

Next on the ASOIAF / Game of Thrones front will probably be some wildlings to go with the Others that I painted last year though, which will then need some Night's Watch to go with them - I don't suppose anyone has any LotR rangers that they want to trade?

1 comment:

  1. Now I am loving these and the Lannister forces group shot is superb!

    ReplyDelete