So, having thought some more, I think my initial self challenge list for the year is going to look like this:
- Finish 5 miniatures from my WIP drawer before starting anything new (0/5)
- Finish 10 miniatures from my WIP drawer before starting anything new (0/10)
- Finish 15 miniatures from my WIP drawer before starting anything new (0/15)
- Finish a piece of terrain
- Empty out my stripping pot
- Paint something from the stripping pot
- Prep all of the monkeys in the monkey box
- Build a wargames board
- Paint all of the miniatures in a boxed game
- Open Star Wars Imperial Assault and paint all the miniatures from it
- Paint all the miniatures needed to replace the tokens in the Imperial Assault Core Game
- Paint a complete box of miniatures (either a full regiment or starter)
- Finish a complete skirmish force for a project (at least 16 miniatures, unless it's for a much smaller scale game like Batman)
- Repaint something (either a miniature that I have previously painted, or one that was received painted)
It won't replace the Tally; I'll still be aiming to get more painted than I acquire! Think of the challenges as more of a fun way to focus my productivity, and hopefully clear out some of the half painted miniatures in the painting queue - although being totally honest, I have so many prepped miniatures that never got past undercoating that there's technically a queue before they even reach the queue!
My WIP tray in my hobby desk, which is generally what I refer to as 'the queue':
Three drawers of WIP miniatures, waiting for their chance to make their way into the tray in the desk:
Although truth be told, there are also some other drawers that have half-painted miniatures in too...
You will probably notice that some of the challenges seem to contradict one another, like finishing multiple miniatures before starting anything new compared to the majority of other challenges; this is fine, who needs the hoops you're jumping through to be perfectly aligned? The hardest bit will be balancing the two types of challenge - if I get distracted and start something new before finishing 15 old miniatures, the counter resets and I'll have to finish an additional 15 old miniatures to complete the challenge; I think I'm going to have to decide whether to power on and try and smash out 15 existing miniatures straight away, or do I forge on with Star Wars Imperial Assault whilst the excitement of Rogue One is fresh in my mind and try to crack a couple of challenges from the other end of the Spectrum?