Monday 22 July 2024

Robots, but make them fantasy flavoured

Having finished a bevy of Oozes, I figured I should dig out the half-painted fantasy mechs that I had started in order to be able to play the next Frostgrave scenario in my solo campaign:


They’re repainted Mage Knight Steam Golems, and having a sword and a cannon arm make them pretty ideal for a Frostgrave Ballista - it’s just a shame that they’re so hard to get hold of these days (I ordered these for delivery to my brother-in-law’s fiancés house in the States, that he then brought back for me when he visited before he emigrated). I started painting them ages ago, but I wasn’t happy with how they were coming out and they ended up on the back burner.


I think it’s mostly that they’d come out looking flat and shiny, so grubbing them up with a certain amount of washes and stippling got them to a point where I was pretty happy with them. 

Being bendy plastic, there’s some variation in pose - I tried the hot water trick on these, as well as taking them apart and reassembling them, but while the one on the left looks like it’s ready to spring into combat, the one on the right has slight ‘time to limbo’ vibes.


Finishing these brings the Tally to:

41 vs 175 = -134


Next - hopefully some more cowboys, but I’m out and about a lot for work in the coming weeks which tends to eat at my painting time…

2 comments:

  1. Nice work on the stompy robots!

    I think Ral Partha Europe produces metal versions of these. They're somewhat more expensive than the Heroclix versions but considerably less bendy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have nailed the grunge look perfectly, great job.

    ReplyDelete