Monday, 7 September 2026

Alien ruffians you say?

So, those of you that read what I put on the internet might have heard me proclaim that my project for the year was going to be Firefly Stargrave. In a shocking twist of fate, I have become side-tracked, and had a real hankering for Star Wars. I think it was the announcement of the video game Zero Company that did it; for a couple of years now I’ve been a bit burnt out on Star Wars, but I’ve found a new enthusiasm for it and shown the kids episodes 1-5 so far, as well as digging in to the Bad Batch series. 

When it comes to the tabletop, I’m still enthused about my Firefly plans, but realistically I need to paint a lot more before I could even get that to the table, whereas for Star Wars I’ve already got a chunk of painted miniatures ready to go - that’s not to say it’s easy though, as for any fantasy projects I might be inspired to start I already have a collection of scenery, generic monsters and whatnot that can be pressed into service, but for SF I’ll need to get building and painting…


Way back when, I painted up some generic Star Wars ruffians with a vague plan to run the Star Wars RPG - that never happened, but for this project they’ll make ideal ruffians for Stargrave. I could always do with more though, so I painted this Klatooinian Enforcer to add to their numbers.


I’ve been struggling with painting batches of minis at the moment, so figured that it would be more sensible to add a single mini at a time rather than prepping a whole load of them - and look, here I am posting a finished mini! I think I’ll carry on adding a mini here and there as a little pallete cleanser every now and then - although obviously, I’ve gotten inspired with an idea for a little narrative campaign that is going to require me to… paint batches of miniatures. The more we learn the less we learn, I guess. 

Before we get to the Tally I’ve also received some minis, as I had some birthday money burning a hole in my pocket, and so picked up this lot on eBay:


Seeing other people convert crossbowmen rather than paying top dollar for official minis made me realise that I need to break the years of subconscious GW conditioning to only use ‘official’ miniatures, so I searched for a bunch of damaged minis to kickstart my conversion inspiration. Admittedly, it didn’t hurt that this lot also included some crossbowmen, berserkers and a banner bearer, but I think my good intentions still stand. 

As well as these, I grabbed the most recent (and final) free mini of the months from GW, which brings the Tally to:

51 vs 296 = -245

Speaking of birthdays, I also got these Alamo sourcebooks as my hyperfixation has swung round that way again:


Not that you’d know it from reading this blog, as I’ve only finished painting a single test miniature for this project, but let me tell you the amount of time I spend thinking about the Alamo is way above average…

What else is going on? I’ve got some batches of minis on the painting tile for Warriors of Athena that I hope that I can force my attention on to soon - with the plastic heroes box potentially being released soon, that might be the impetus I need to get my boys day booked in (where a couple of us get together to roll up warbands, then build them while watching Jason and the Argonauts) that we’ve been trying to schedule since February; more Star Wars (although admittedly this might need to wait until the next Stargrave expansion comes out); or maybe I’ll finish the half-painted William Travis mini that’s been sat in the queue for who knows how long? 

And on the other hand, we’ve just started a new family D&D campaign with our neighbour and some of his children, so I need a mini for my fairy monk:


Happily, I’ve been able to sort minis for my entire family out of things I already own, thus justifying the boxes and boxes of minis…

The second session is scheduled for later today, so we had a quick family painting session yesterday afternoon:


This taken just before I attempted painting abs on a mini the size of my fingernail…

No comments:

Post a Comment